Being brutally honest about books

Thursday 24 November 2016

My 2016 Reading Stats

2016 has been a worse reading year than 2015, but I can blame that on uni - you read a lot more for uni than you do for school, and this ruins a) your time for reading for pleasure and b) your enthusiasm for reading. I've read 18 books total! (But two of these were over 1,100 pages long...) That's 6,633 pages.

But while this hasn't been a good reading year, I have been reading more in the past few months, especially this November. So that's something to be happy about. (Reading makes me happy, and I've noticed I've been happier since I've been reading more these past few months.)


My reading so far this year comprises:
  • 8 Adult books 
  • 8 YA books
  • 2 poetry books (both were related to Sappho)
  • 4 contemporary/fiction books 
  • 6 fantasy or sci-fi books  
  • 8 historical or history-related books
  • 7 books with any LGBTQ characters (excluding the poetry)
  • 0 books published this year (2016)
  • 9 books published 2010-2015
  • 6 books published 2000-2009
  • 3 books published before 2000

      I've written 7 reviews (only 7? It feels like more!) and given:
      • 6 three-star ratings
      • 9 four-star ratings
      • 3 five-star ratings 
      That's no one- or two-star ratings! So while I haven't reach much, what I've read has, on average, been very enjoyable. I've DNFed 3 books that just weren't for me, so most of my reading has been worthwhile.


        I've also added 57 books to my TBR list, which sounds like a lot! But I've also culled the list a couple of times this year, so even though the number sounds bad it's not as terrible as you'd think (although I still feel the need for a reader's retreat). Most of the culling was of YA - I'm just not as interested in it as I used to be, which you might've noticed from my blog over the past year or two.


        So overall, I haven't read much in 2016, but it's not all bad because I found a new favourite book (War and Peace) and finally read Sappho and Sarah Waters for the first time!

        As for next year, I don't expect the number of books I read per year to increase until I've got my degree, but we'll see how the next 2 years go. Anything could happen!

        How's your reading year been? Good, bad, interesting, surprising?

        I'm Alexandria, a 19-year-old reader/writer/blogger from New Zealand. I love language, history, and sci-fi. Hi! I'm always around if you want to talk, which you can do via comments, the contact form, or Facebook.

        Contact Form

        Name

        Email *

        Message *

        Powered by Blogger.